Scholarships and Awards
We provide scholarships and monetary awards for orchestra members between the ages of fourteen and twenty-five.
Our goal is to encourage the development of Ambleside Orchestra members both as musicians and as fully rounded members of society.
Each season, we present scholarships to one or more young members who display performing ability, potential, and dedication to the Ambleside Orchestra.
We look for exemplary attendance, punctuality, and willingness to assume a generous share of responsibility in all orchestra activities.
A scholarhip applicant is required to:
- Be a member of the Ambleside Orchestra, attending all rehearsals and participating in all concerts.
- Be fourteen to twenty-five years of age on December 31 of the year in which s/he applies for a scholarship.
- Be enrolled in a secondary school, college, or university program.
- Submit a written application.
- Audition before a jury consisting of the Ambleside Orchestra’s music director and concertmaster and one professional musician. The candidate can play an accompanied or unaccompanied piece that's up to fifteen minutes long, or two contrasting shorter pieces. The jury will also select one or two excerpts from the orchestra's rehearsal folder for the candidate to play.
Scholarship winners may be featured as soloists and invited to perform in chamber groups with other members of the Ambleside Orchestra.
Winners are encouraged to use the money for music lessons, new equipment, or something else that helps develop fine musicianship.
We also often present monetary awards to young members who display dedication and commitment to the Ambleside Orchestra.
Again, we look for full attendance at rehearsals and performances, dedication to high performing standards, responsible behaviour, and a positive attitude.
No application is necessary. Award recipients are selected by the Ambleside Orchestra’s music director, concertmaster, and manager.
We’re grateful for the philanthropic forethought of our past patrons, and encourage you to continue to support our scholarships and awards program.
If you’d like to learn more, or if you'd like to make a donation in support of the program, please email email@example.com.